Saturday, January 05, 2008

Mitt Romney is Toast

I recently published this comment on another site. I figured that it was pretty good, so I would re-post it here (with minor corrections in spelling--oops):

How can a man say that he is a "fiscal conservative" when he spends 1,500% more money than his nearest competitor and still loses?

If Romney were half the candidate that Messrs. Hewett, Sekulow, et al. claim that he is, Romney should have blown Mike Huckabee away.

Beyond this, the evangelical vote is powerful---especially in the south. Mitt Romney is not going to win in South Carolina, or Mississippi, or Tennessee. Why? Mitt has essentially said that Iowa is an outlier because evangelicals came out in droves the other night. Well, evangelicals are going to come out in droves in these states, and it will be ugly for Mitt.

They are not going to vote for a guy who claims to don the very mantle of Reaganism that he so vociferously rejected in the early nineties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think Romney is toast. And so is Rudy. I think the race is down to Huckabee and McCain.

On the Democratic side I think Hillary is toast and it's Obama all the way. When the dust settles we may have a Huckabee/Obama race to the Presidency.

Anonymous said...

I think Romney is in bad shape as well. The main reason social conservatives were considering him to begin with is because there weren't really any really viable social conservatives in the race when he entered it. Now there are.


(BTW, Matt --- my email is brandonb at ccslink dot com , as you requested on Digg)